Seven soldiers killed in fresh Burkina Faso attack

A picture take on October 30, 2018 shows Burkinabe gendarmes sitting on their vehicle in the city of Ouhigouya in the north of the country. – Two Burkinabe soldiers were killed and three wounded in the night of November 5, 2018 in Nassoumbou, northern Burkina Faso, near the Malian border, by the explosion of an improvised explosive device, according to security sources. (Photo by ISSOUF SANOGO / AFP) (Photo credit should read ISSOUF SANOGO/AFP via Getty Images)

Seven soldiers were killed and others wounded or missing after their patrol was ambushed in northern Burkina Faso, the centre of a five-year-old jihadist insurgency, security sources said on Thursday.

The troops were attacked on Wednesday between Tin Akoff and Beldiabe in Oudalan province, which borders Mali and Niger, one source said.

“The provisional toll is seven soldiers dead,” the source said, with others wounded or missing.

Another source confirmed the attack, adding that an operation had been launched “to hunt down the assailants” and find the missing soldiers.

Jihadists began making incursions into northern Burkina from neighbouring Mali in 2015 in a conflict that has left more than 1,200 people dead and forced more than one million to flee their homes.

The most recent attack was in September, when four soldiers were killed.

Burkina is to hold presidential and legislative on November 22.

President Roch Marc Christian Kabore, who is seeking a second term, launched his campaign last week by promising to restore peace.

But his critics say he has failed to confront the growing jihadist threat.

READ ALSO Forex demand pressure worries CBN MPC members

Residents of almost 1,500 villages out of some 8,000 in the country will not be able to take part in the vote because of the insurgency.

In September, parliament passed a law allowing the results to be validated even if polling does not take place throughout the country.

Burkina Faso is one of the world’s poorest countries and its armed forces are under-equipped.

Last year, 4,000 died in jihadist attacks or ethnic violence fomented by the insurgency in Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger, according to the UN.

Related Posts

“This Is Becoming Childish”: Joe Igbokwe Blasts Atiku Over NYSC Certificate Demand

        A chieftain of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Joe Igbokwe, has condemned the move by the presidential candidate of the 2027 African Democratic Congress, ADC, Atiku…

US-Nigeria Joint Working Group Convenes in Washington to Address Security and Humanitarian Concerns

        The second session of the United States-Nigeria Joint Working Group, JWG on Nigeria’s Particular Concern Designation took place this week in Washington.     Under Secretary…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

“This Is Becoming Childish”: Joe Igbokwe Blasts Atiku Over NYSC Certificate Demand

“This Is Becoming Childish”: Joe Igbokwe Blasts Atiku Over NYSC Certificate Demand

US-Nigeria Joint Working Group Convenes in Washington to Address Security and Humanitarian Concerns

US-Nigeria Joint Working Group Convenes in Washington to Address Security and Humanitarian Concerns

Behind the Beef: Seyi Vibez Claims He Built Dapper Music’s Career from Scratch

Behind the Beef: Seyi Vibez Claims He Built Dapper Music’s Career from Scratch

Shallipopi Accuses Dapper Music of Withholding Royalties from 46 Songs and Selling His Catalogue

Shallipopi Accuses Dapper Music of Withholding Royalties from 46 Songs and Selling His Catalogue

Osun Governorship Poll: Police Restrict All Vehicular and Pedestrian Movement from Friday Midnight

Osun Governorship Poll: Police Restrict All Vehicular and Pedestrian Movement from Friday Midnight

Atiku Seeks Tinubu’s Disqualification from 2027 Election Over Alleged Forged NYSC Certificate

Atiku Seeks Tinubu’s Disqualification from 2027 Election Over Alleged Forged NYSC Certificate