Gunmen abduct lovers one week to wedding in Ekiti

Gunmen struck at Ekiti East Local Government Area on Sunday and abducted a would-be couple planning to get married next week, the police said on Monday.

Police spokesman in the state, ASP Sunday Abutu, told the News Agency of Nigeria that three persons had been arrested in connection with the abduction.

“We learnt that the couple came to Ado Ekiti and were returning to their base when they were picked up by gunmen.

“Immediately we got the report, the Police Commissioner, Babatunde Mobayo, mobilised our men and officers to the surrounding forests.

“As I speak, our men are working in conjunction with “Amotekun’’ Corps, local hunters and Vigilance groups, combing the forests to free the victims,’’ he said.

ASP Abutu said those arrested had been detained at the police headquarters in Ado-Ekiti and would be arraigned as soon as investigations were concluded.

He said that efforts were on to arrest other accomplices.

READ ALSO Why Hushpuppi’s account remains active, according to Instagram

Eyewitnesses told NAN that the victims were seized on Ilasa-Ekiti-Ayebode Road, in Ekiti East Local Government Area.

The victims were returning from Ado Ekiti, where they had gone to make purchases preparatory to their wedding when they were abducted.

Family members of the victims said that the abductors had contacted the family and demanded N5 million ransom to secure their freedom.

One eyewitness said the vehicle conveying the would-be couple was attacked at a bad portion of the highway.

“The deplorable condition of our roads seems to be a major factor responsible for these repeated cases of kidnapping,’’ the eyewitness stressed.

Related Posts

Fear Grips Kubwa Community Following Audacious Nighttime Kidnapping

      There is fear aming residents of Kuntun Bokun area of the Paze axis of Kubwa, Bwari Area Council Abuja following a kidnapping incident.     UGAMATV gathered…

From Rivalry to Respect: Mikel Obi on Arsenal’s Premier League Win

      Former Super Eagles captain, John Obi Mikel, has revealed that he woke up to a lot of messages from supporters of Arsenal, after they were confirmed Premier…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Fear Grips Kubwa Community Following Audacious Nighttime Kidnapping

Fear Grips Kubwa Community Following Audacious Nighttime Kidnapping

From Rivalry to Respect: Mikel Obi on Arsenal’s Premier League Win

From Rivalry to Respect: Mikel Obi on Arsenal’s Premier League Win

FAAN: No Confirmed Ebola Cases in Nigeria, Airport Screening Intensified

FAAN: No Confirmed Ebola Cases in Nigeria, Airport Screening Intensified

Desmond Elliot Withdraws from APC Primary Citing Suppression

Desmond Elliot Withdraws from APC Primary Citing Suppression

Disgraced Democracy? Aspirant Slams Abia APC Primary Results

Disgraced Democracy? Aspirant Slams Abia APC Primary Results

SDP Presidential Candidate Adewole Adebayo Expelled by Faction

SDP Presidential Candidate Adewole Adebayo Expelled by Faction