Court threatens to strike out EFCC’s suit against Okorocha 

A Federal High Court in Abuja, on Monday, has threatened to strike out the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission’s suit against former governor of Imo State, Senator Rochas Okorocha.

Justice Inyang Ekwo gave the warning following a complaint by Cosmas Ugwu, counsel for the EFCC, that all efforts made by the agency to effect service of court processes on Okorocha had been unsuccessful.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Okorocha, who is expected to be arraigned on a 17-count money laundering charge, is the current senator representing Imo West Senatorial District.

The lawmaker, who is the first defendant, is to be arraigned alongside Anyim Nyerere Chinenye, Naphtali International Limited, Perfect Finish Multi Projects Limited, Consolid Projects Consulting Limited, Pramif International Limited, and Legend World Concepts Limited.

Justice Ekwo had, on February 22, adjourned the arraignment until March 28, after Ugwu pleaded with the court over the agency’s inability to serve the senator.

But when the matter was called on Monday, Ugwu informed the court that the matter had been slated for arraignment of the defendants.

READ ALSO BREAKING: Tension In Imo Community As Unknown Gunmen Attack Police Station, Injure Two Officers

He, however, said “unfortunately the first defendant was yet to be served with the charge.”

The EFCC counsel said several efforts made to effect the service so that all the defendants could be charged together were unsuccessful.

“In view of this, we plead with my lord to graciously accommodate us with an adjournment,” he said.

In her response, Justice Ekwo reminded Ugwu that on February 22, when the case came up, he had given the same excuse.

“One month plus you are still coming to say you are yet to serve,” the judge said.

Ekwo said though he would grant Ugwu’s prayer for another adjournment, if he came up with the same excuse in the next adjourned date, the matter would be struck out.

“This will be the last time this matter will be adjourned,” he said.

The judge said the adjournment was to see how serious the commission was in prosecuting the matter.

He then adjourned the matter until May 30, for the defendants’ plea to be taken.

Related Posts

‘This isn’t the news anyone expects’ Vanessa Trump, 48, reveals breast cancer diagnosis

Vanessa Trump, the ex-wife of the U.S. president’s eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., revealed Wednesday, May 20, that she has been diagnosed with breast cancer.   The 48-year-old shared the…

Gunmen abduct LG vice chairman in Ekiti

Gunmen have abducted the Vice Chairman of Ilejemeje Local Government Area of Ekiti State, Grace Ogunleye.   According to reports, Ogunleye was kidnapped along the Ipere–Iludun Ekiti road while returning…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

‘This isn’t the news anyone expects’ Vanessa Trump, 48, reveals breast cancer diagnosis

‘This isn’t the news anyone expects’ Vanessa Trump, 48, reveals breast cancer diagnosis

Gunmen abduct LG vice chairman in Ekiti

Gunmen abduct LG vice chairman in Ekiti

Super Eagles coach Eric Chelle names squad for Unity Cup

Super Eagles coach Eric Chelle names squad for Unity Cup

Sierra Leone receives Nigerian, Ghanaian, Senegalese migrants deported from US

Sierra Leone receives Nigerian, Ghanaian, Senegalese migrants deported from US

President Tinubu appoints 39-year-old Professor of Computer Engineering as new JAMB registrar

President Tinubu appoints 39-year-old Professor of Computer Engineering as new JAMB registrar

Meta lays off 8,000 employees as A.I. restructuring accelerates

Meta lays off 8,000 employees as A.I. restructuring accelerates