Borno massacre: Women, girls not abducted from our village, says Zabarmari district head

Contrary to insinuations that an unidentified number of women and girls were abducted in Zabarmari area of Borno State during last Saturday’s attack, the District Head, Zanna Bukar, has said that no woman or girl from the community is missing.

The district head, while speaking with our correspondent on Friday, said those abducted and subsequently slain by Boko Haram were all males who had been on the farm for days harvesting their crops.

He said, “No, no, we didn’t lose any woman or single lady from this community to the attack. All those affected were young males of between the ages of 13 and 30. Though some of them were newly-weds, some with very young families; others were mostly school-age boys who were hired to harvest on the farm for some fee.

“We heard the rumours that some women were also killed but it is not true. The governor was here; we confirmed to him that those slain were all males. So, I don’t know where that rumour emanated from, but definitely not from our village.”

Also, Musa Ibrahim, father of 18-year-old deceased Usmanu Musa, disclosed that his son was the pillar of the home, being the eldest child.

He said, “Sincerely I feel pained by this death. This boy was my first child. He was the breadwinner for the family. He was always providing for his mother and other siblings from the little he made. And he was always with me, helping in running errands for me at my workplace.

READ ALSO Officer missing as smugglers engage Ogun Customs in shootout

“I was originally into fishing before the Boko Haram terrorists came and destroyed all my stock and rendered me poor for about six years now. I have not been able to go back to my fishing business. So, I took to buying and selling grains, especially rice, to make ends meet.”

Meanwhile, at least four civilians have been killed between Thursday and Friday by the terror group, Boko Haram, in Cameroon’s far north region, local authorities said on Friday.

The traditional ruler of Wemdeley village was killed. Three other persons were killed early Thursday in Talla Massali village when Boko Haram invaded the localities, authorities confirmed.

The terrorists who came on motorcycles also made away with foodstuffs and kidnapped at least two people during the raids, according to local sources.

The Boko Haram group has been active in Cameroon’s far north region since 2014, posing enormous humanitarian and governance challenges.

Related Posts

“This Is Becoming Childish”: Joe Igbokwe Blasts Atiku Over NYSC Certificate Demand

        A chieftain of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Joe Igbokwe, has condemned the move by the presidential candidate of the 2027 African Democratic Congress, ADC, Atiku…

US-Nigeria Joint Working Group Convenes in Washington to Address Security and Humanitarian Concerns

        The second session of the United States-Nigeria Joint Working Group, JWG on Nigeria’s Particular Concern Designation took place this week in Washington.     Under Secretary…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

“This Is Becoming Childish”: Joe Igbokwe Blasts Atiku Over NYSC Certificate Demand

“This Is Becoming Childish”: Joe Igbokwe Blasts Atiku Over NYSC Certificate Demand

US-Nigeria Joint Working Group Convenes in Washington to Address Security and Humanitarian Concerns

US-Nigeria Joint Working Group Convenes in Washington to Address Security and Humanitarian Concerns

Behind the Beef: Seyi Vibez Claims He Built Dapper Music’s Career from Scratch

Behind the Beef: Seyi Vibez Claims He Built Dapper Music’s Career from Scratch

Shallipopi Accuses Dapper Music of Withholding Royalties from 46 Songs and Selling His Catalogue

Shallipopi Accuses Dapper Music of Withholding Royalties from 46 Songs and Selling His Catalogue

Osun Governorship Poll: Police Restrict All Vehicular and Pedestrian Movement from Friday Midnight

Osun Governorship Poll: Police Restrict All Vehicular and Pedestrian Movement from Friday Midnight

Atiku Seeks Tinubu’s Disqualification from 2027 Election Over Alleged Forged NYSC Certificate

Atiku Seeks Tinubu’s Disqualification from 2027 Election Over Alleged Forged NYSC Certificate