Widow of slain Haitian president seeks justice

The widow of slain Haitian president Jovenel Moise gave witness testimony Wednesday to a magistrate investigating the July assassination of her husband, an attack in which she herself was seriously wounded.

Former Haitian first lady Martine Moise, wearing a black dress, arrived with a large entourage of police and heavily armed foreign bodyguards at the prosecutors’ office in the capital Port-au-Prince, where she spoke for several hours with investigating judge Garry Orelien.

Several dozen supporters of the former head of state gathered in front of the building to show support.

“I answered all the questions that were put to me,” Moise said after her hearing.

“Everyone says that in our country, you can’t get justice. Even if I am told that, this is where I must start to seek justice,” she added, addressing the few journalists who had managed to enter the building.

She said she was prepared to respond to any further requests for hearings. “Whatever the case, I’m ready. I have nothing to be ashamed of,” she said.

Afterward, her bodyguards ushered her into one of several vehicles which immediately left an area of the city center that has been dominated by crime gangs for several months.

Read Also UNIBEN English lecturer allegedly rapes final year student in office

Seriously wounded by gunshots, the former first lady was evacuated to the United States within hours of the July 7 attack by armed commandos at the presidential residence.

She had briefly returned to Haiti to attend her husband’s July 23 funeral in Cap-Haitien, the country’s second largest city, before returning to Florida to undergo several more operations.

She came back to Haiti on Friday evening, spending a few hours on Monday in the southwest of the country, which had been devastated on August 14 by an earthquake that killed more than 2,200 people.

Three months after the assassination, doubts remain over who ordered the attack, during which not a single police officer guarding the president was injured.

Four senior Haitian law enforcement officials have been detained and a total of 44 people, including 18 Colombians and two Americans of Haitian origin, have been arrested in connection with the investigation.

Related Posts

Fear Grips Kubwa Community Following Audacious Nighttime Kidnapping

      There is fear aming residents of Kuntun Bokun area of the Paze axis of Kubwa, Bwari Area Council Abuja following a kidnapping incident.     UGAMATV gathered…

From Rivalry to Respect: Mikel Obi on Arsenal’s Premier League Win

      Former Super Eagles captain, John Obi Mikel, has revealed that he woke up to a lot of messages from supporters of Arsenal, after they were confirmed Premier…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Fear Grips Kubwa Community Following Audacious Nighttime Kidnapping

Fear Grips Kubwa Community Following Audacious Nighttime Kidnapping

From Rivalry to Respect: Mikel Obi on Arsenal’s Premier League Win

From Rivalry to Respect: Mikel Obi on Arsenal’s Premier League Win

FAAN: No Confirmed Ebola Cases in Nigeria, Airport Screening Intensified

FAAN: No Confirmed Ebola Cases in Nigeria, Airport Screening Intensified

Desmond Elliot Withdraws from APC Primary Citing Suppression

Desmond Elliot Withdraws from APC Primary Citing Suppression

Disgraced Democracy? Aspirant Slams Abia APC Primary Results

Disgraced Democracy? Aspirant Slams Abia APC Primary Results

SDP Presidential Candidate Adewole Adebayo Expelled by Faction

SDP Presidential Candidate Adewole Adebayo Expelled by Faction