South Korea’s ex-president indicted for abuse of power

Disgraced South Korean ex-president, Yoon Suk Yeol, has been indicted for abuse of power over his declaration of martial law last year.

 

 

 

Yoon plunged South Korea into a political crisis when he sought to subvert civilian rule on December 3, sending troops to parliament in a bid to prevent lawmakers from voting down his declaration of martial law.

 

 

 

 

 

He became the first sitting president in the country to be taken into custody when he was detained in January after resisting arrest for weeks, using his presidential security detail to thwart investigators.

 

 

 

 

He was released on procedural grounds in March, even as his trial on insurrection charges continued.

 

 

 

Last week he was detained again after an arrest warrant was issued over concerns he might destroy evidence in the case.

 

 

 

The prosecution “indicted former President Yoon Suk Yeol on charges including abuse of power and obstruction of special official duties”, prosecutor Park Ji-young told reporters on Saturday.

 

 

 

Park said Yoon also did not follow the required procedure to declare martial law, including holding a meeting with all cabinet members of the government.

 

 

 

Yoon was also charged with “drafting and discarding a false document” that stated the prime minister and defence minister had endorsed martial law.

 

 

 

Yoon has refused to attend questioning since he was detained, but appeared in court on Friday at a hearing to argue for his warrant to be cancelled.

 

 

 

The ex-president’s legal team told reporters that Yoon defended himself for over 30 minutes, and mentioned his “limited physical mobility and the challenges he was facing”.

 

 

 

The court denied the request.

 

 

 

Yoon is being held in solitary in a cell which has a fan but no air-conditioning, as a heat wave grips South Korea.

Related Posts

“This Is Becoming Childish”: Joe Igbokwe Blasts Atiku Over NYSC Certificate Demand

        A chieftain of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Joe Igbokwe, has condemned the move by the presidential candidate of the 2027 African Democratic Congress, ADC, Atiku…

US-Nigeria Joint Working Group Convenes in Washington to Address Security and Humanitarian Concerns

        The second session of the United States-Nigeria Joint Working Group, JWG on Nigeria’s Particular Concern Designation took place this week in Washington.     Under Secretary…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

“This Is Becoming Childish”: Joe Igbokwe Blasts Atiku Over NYSC Certificate Demand

“This Is Becoming Childish”: Joe Igbokwe Blasts Atiku Over NYSC Certificate Demand

US-Nigeria Joint Working Group Convenes in Washington to Address Security and Humanitarian Concerns

US-Nigeria Joint Working Group Convenes in Washington to Address Security and Humanitarian Concerns

Behind the Beef: Seyi Vibez Claims He Built Dapper Music’s Career from Scratch

Behind the Beef: Seyi Vibez Claims He Built Dapper Music’s Career from Scratch

Shallipopi Accuses Dapper Music of Withholding Royalties from 46 Songs and Selling His Catalogue

Shallipopi Accuses Dapper Music of Withholding Royalties from 46 Songs and Selling His Catalogue

Osun Governorship Poll: Police Restrict All Vehicular and Pedestrian Movement from Friday Midnight

Osun Governorship Poll: Police Restrict All Vehicular and Pedestrian Movement from Friday Midnight

Atiku Seeks Tinubu’s Disqualification from 2027 Election Over Alleged Forged NYSC Certificate

Atiku Seeks Tinubu’s Disqualification from 2027 Election Over Alleged Forged NYSC Certificate