Police raid London wedding with 400 guests

British police said on Friday they had raided a wedding with 400 guests in a London school, as the government began a crackdown on illicit parties flouting national lockdown laws.

Under current lockdown rules in England, weddings can only take place in “exceptional circumstances” with up to six people present.

Officers found hundreds of people at the school, whose windows had been covered up, with Detective Chief Superintendent Marcus Barnett calling it “a completely unacceptable breach of the law”.

The organiser could face a £10,000 ($13,600, 11,200-euro) fine, police said. While many of the guests fled the scene, five were fined £200.

The wedding was held at the Yesodey Hatorah school in  Stamford Hill, an area with a large ultra-Orthodox Jewish community.

The school said in a statement it had leased the hall out and had “no knowledge that the wedding was taking place”.

Britain is under a national lockdown introduced this month after a surge in cases and the identification of a more contagious virus variant. rew

But the government, police and health chiefs have expressed frustration that laws on social distancing and household mixing were still being flouted.

READ ALSO Extortion: Four police inspectors arrested in Lagos

Vin Diwakar, NHS England regional medical director for London, on Thursday, likened people risking the close-contact spread of the virus to “turning on the lights during the Blitz”.

Police have previously carried out raids on illegal raves, music concerts and parties.

Interior minister Priti Patel has hiked the maximum fine for those who attend illegal house parties with more than 15 people in homes to £800.

Britain’s Chief Rabbi Ephraim Mirvis tweeted that the illegal event was “a shameful desecration of all that we hold dear” and that such behaviour is “abhorred by the overwhelming majority of the Jewish community”.

In November, a New York synagogue was fined $15,000 for holding an indoor wedding with thousands of guests.

Related Posts

“This Is Becoming Childish”: Joe Igbokwe Blasts Atiku Over NYSC Certificate Demand

        A chieftain of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Joe Igbokwe, has condemned the move by the presidential candidate of the 2027 African Democratic Congress, ADC, Atiku…

US-Nigeria Joint Working Group Convenes in Washington to Address Security and Humanitarian Concerns

        The second session of the United States-Nigeria Joint Working Group, JWG on Nigeria’s Particular Concern Designation took place this week in Washington.     Under Secretary…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

“This Is Becoming Childish”: Joe Igbokwe Blasts Atiku Over NYSC Certificate Demand

“This Is Becoming Childish”: Joe Igbokwe Blasts Atiku Over NYSC Certificate Demand

US-Nigeria Joint Working Group Convenes in Washington to Address Security and Humanitarian Concerns

US-Nigeria Joint Working Group Convenes in Washington to Address Security and Humanitarian Concerns

Behind the Beef: Seyi Vibez Claims He Built Dapper Music’s Career from Scratch

Behind the Beef: Seyi Vibez Claims He Built Dapper Music’s Career from Scratch

Shallipopi Accuses Dapper Music of Withholding Royalties from 46 Songs and Selling His Catalogue

Shallipopi Accuses Dapper Music of Withholding Royalties from 46 Songs and Selling His Catalogue

Osun Governorship Poll: Police Restrict All Vehicular and Pedestrian Movement from Friday Midnight

Osun Governorship Poll: Police Restrict All Vehicular and Pedestrian Movement from Friday Midnight

Atiku Seeks Tinubu’s Disqualification from 2027 Election Over Alleged Forged NYSC Certificate

Atiku Seeks Tinubu’s Disqualification from 2027 Election Over Alleged Forged NYSC Certificate