LAWYERS counselors dread assasination plot against Igboho, seek after refuge

The legal team representing the Yoruba Nation agitator, Sunday Adeyemo, popularly known as Sunday Igboho, has moved to secure asylum for the activist rather than bail.

Olasupo Ojo, the coordinating counsel for Igboho, had said  that the legal team was considering different options to get him out of a detention facility in Cotonou without being extradited to Nigeria.

Though he did not reveal the options, one of the lawyers told our correspondent on Monday that they were working on securing asylum, followed by bail option.

He said the decision was reached after a meeting of the legal team, comprising nine lawyers.

“Yes, getting him asylum is our priority now. In our opinion, that is the best for him,” the lawyer added.

Some of the lawyers confirmed to UGAMATV that there were indications that Benin Republic would make the outcome of an asylum application by Igboho known this week.

Igboho and his wife were arrested on Monday, July 19, 2021, by the International Criminal Police Organisation at the Cadjèhoun Airport in Cotonou, Republic of Benin on their way to Germany. Ropo was later released.

This was after DSS raided his house in Ibadan and declared him wanted for stockpiling arms.

When he was re-arraigned last Monday, fresh charges were levelled against the 48-year-old activist, who was also returned to a new detention facility.

READ ALSO DSS keeps four Igboho aides, produces eight, attacks writers in court

Asked if Igboho had been granted asylum, Ojo said, “I have not got any official report in relation to that. We are expecting a feedback this week.”

Also, the spokesperson for Ilana Omo Oduduwa, Maxwell Adeleye, said the organisation was expecting a positive response.

“We have submitted an application and we are hoping to get a positive response before the end of the week,” he said on the telephone.

Professor Ibrahim Salami, one of the Cotonou, Benin Republic-based lawyers for Igboho, said charges against Igboho would be neutralised if the activist is granted asylum.

Dr Malik Falola, another Benin-based counsel for Igboho, warned that it was better for the activist to remain in detention “than to be released and killed.”

He cautioned against the hasty release of Igboho, saying “his safety is paramount”.

The law lecturer said, “When I first met Sunday Igboho, I ensured that the handcuffs on him were removed. I told them he is a human rights activist and political accuser.

“Doctors have checked him and have continued to treat him. But he has no opportunity to address journalists for now.

“We need to be wise with whatever we do. If anyone is not patient in seeking freedom for Igboho, the person wants to harm him.

“What if he is suddenly shot on the street? Someone may even attack him wherever he lodges.”

Related Posts

‘This isn’t the news anyone expects’ Vanessa Trump, 48, reveals breast cancer diagnosis

Vanessa Trump, the ex-wife of the U.S. president’s eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., revealed Wednesday, May 20, that she has been diagnosed with breast cancer.   The 48-year-old shared the…

Gunmen abduct LG vice chairman in Ekiti

Gunmen have abducted the Vice Chairman of Ilejemeje Local Government Area of Ekiti State, Grace Ogunleye.   According to reports, Ogunleye was kidnapped along the Ipere–Iludun Ekiti road while returning…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

‘This isn’t the news anyone expects’ Vanessa Trump, 48, reveals breast cancer diagnosis

‘This isn’t the news anyone expects’ Vanessa Trump, 48, reveals breast cancer diagnosis

Gunmen abduct LG vice chairman in Ekiti

Gunmen abduct LG vice chairman in Ekiti

Super Eagles coach Eric Chelle names squad for Unity Cup

Super Eagles coach Eric Chelle names squad for Unity Cup

Sierra Leone receives Nigerian, Ghanaian, Senegalese migrants deported from US

Sierra Leone receives Nigerian, Ghanaian, Senegalese migrants deported from US

President Tinubu appoints 39-year-old Professor of Computer Engineering as new JAMB registrar

President Tinubu appoints 39-year-old Professor of Computer Engineering as new JAMB registrar

Meta lays off 8,000 employees as A.I. restructuring accelerates

Meta lays off 8,000 employees as A.I. restructuring accelerates