Four reported missing as Ebonyi community alleges attack by neighbour

No fewer than four persons have been reported missing in a communal war between the people of Ukawu and Isinkwo communities in the Onicha Local Government Area of Ebonyi State.

There were however claims that they were killed and their corpses allegedly takenaway by their attackers.

UGAMATV gathered that the people of Ukawu community had, on Tuesday, went to a disputed beach, which serves as a source of livelihood to the two communities, only to be allegedly attacked by the Isinkwo warriors.

It was further learnt that during the attack, four people were allegedly killed.

According to a community source, the Ukawu people tried taking advantage of the sit-at-home order, thinking that the area would be calm not knowing that their opponents had already laid ambush for them.

The source said, “When our people got to the beach, the Isinkwo people opened fire on us and we had to run for our lives. But on getting to our meeting point, we discovered that four people were missing.

“Some of us confirmed that they saw when they were shot dead and their corpses taken away. The worse was that we were taking unawares. We didn’t go with gun because we never anticipated any attack. For some time now, except today, the area has been calm.”

One of the victims, another source said, “Is Offor Ujebe, who is in his mid 30s. He has three children and the last child is about nine months old.  We are still ascertaining the identities of the other three victims.”

READ ALSO Buhari’s campaign coordinator is dead

When contacted on the telephone, Ujebe’s wife said, “They just called me that I should start coming back to the village from Abakaliki, and I left with my three children.

“On getting to the village now, they are telling me that my husband went to the beach where they normally work and there was an attack and they are yet to see him till now.”

It was gathered that Ukawu people had already mobilised to Isinkwo to demand for the corpses of those killed and for possible reprisal.

When contacted, the state Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Loveth Odah, said the report had not reached her table.

She promised to get back with further information in the matter, on Tuesday, but was yet to do so as of the time of filing this report. 

Related Posts

‘This isn’t the news anyone expects’ Vanessa Trump, 48, reveals breast cancer diagnosis

Vanessa Trump, the ex-wife of the U.S. president’s eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., revealed Wednesday, May 20, that she has been diagnosed with breast cancer.   The 48-year-old shared the…

Gunmen abduct LG vice chairman in Ekiti

Gunmen have abducted the Vice Chairman of Ilejemeje Local Government Area of Ekiti State, Grace Ogunleye.   According to reports, Ogunleye was kidnapped along the Ipere–Iludun Ekiti road while returning…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

‘This isn’t the news anyone expects’ Vanessa Trump, 48, reveals breast cancer diagnosis

‘This isn’t the news anyone expects’ Vanessa Trump, 48, reveals breast cancer diagnosis

Gunmen abduct LG vice chairman in Ekiti

Gunmen abduct LG vice chairman in Ekiti

Super Eagles coach Eric Chelle names squad for Unity Cup

Super Eagles coach Eric Chelle names squad for Unity Cup

Sierra Leone receives Nigerian, Ghanaian, Senegalese migrants deported from US

Sierra Leone receives Nigerian, Ghanaian, Senegalese migrants deported from US

President Tinubu appoints 39-year-old Professor of Computer Engineering as new JAMB registrar

President Tinubu appoints 39-year-old Professor of Computer Engineering as new JAMB registrar

Meta lays off 8,000 employees as A.I. restructuring accelerates

Meta lays off 8,000 employees as A.I. restructuring accelerates