Doctors to meet Ngige over non-payment of hazard allowance 

Members of the Nigerian Medical Association and its affiliates such as the Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors and the Medical and Dental Consultants Association of Nigeria have accused the Federal Government of failing to implement the new hazard allowance scale.

The National Salaries, Incomes and Wages Commission had on December 22, 2021 issued a circular conveying the approval of the Federal Government to increase the hazard allowance for doctors and other health workers in the country from N5,000 to as high as N40,000, depending on the category of worker.

But the doctors stated that close to two months after the approval, the government had yet to commence the implementation.

Speaking in an interview with journalist, the national President, MDCAN, Dr Victor Makanjuola, said, “The implementation has not started. The MDCAN hopes to discuss this and other remuneration issues with the Minister of Labour, Chris Ngige, who brokered the talks about the hazard allowance and other matters.

READ ALSO Collapsed National Grid: SERAP Gives Buhari 7 Days To Probe Missing N11Trillion Electricity Fund

“We had information that he (Ngige) was away during the past week. We hope to engage him on it this coming week when he comes back.”

The Chairman, Federal Capital Territory, NMA, Dr Enema Amodu, said, “We observed the lack of commencement of the payment of the hazard allowance to doctors and other health workers. All health personnel are exposed to the hazards of the profession wherever they are practising and deserve to be paid accordingly.”

On his part, the National President, NARD, Godiya Ishaya, said, “It is correct information that they have not started paying. NARD had earlier rejected the hazard allowance rate in our letter dated December 24, 2021, because it was a unilateral position of the government, which does not conform to the principles and spirit of true collective bargaining and agreement.”

Efforts to reach the minister over the development proved abortive as he did not take his calls and had yet to reply to messages sent to his mobile telephone as of the time of filing this report.

Related Posts

‘This isn’t the news anyone expects’ Vanessa Trump, 48, reveals breast cancer diagnosis

Vanessa Trump, the ex-wife of the U.S. president’s eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., revealed Wednesday, May 20, that she has been diagnosed with breast cancer.   The 48-year-old shared the…

Gunmen abduct LG vice chairman in Ekiti

Gunmen have abducted the Vice Chairman of Ilejemeje Local Government Area of Ekiti State, Grace Ogunleye.   According to reports, Ogunleye was kidnapped along the Ipere–Iludun Ekiti road while returning…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

‘This isn’t the news anyone expects’ Vanessa Trump, 48, reveals breast cancer diagnosis

‘This isn’t the news anyone expects’ Vanessa Trump, 48, reveals breast cancer diagnosis

Gunmen abduct LG vice chairman in Ekiti

Gunmen abduct LG vice chairman in Ekiti

Super Eagles coach Eric Chelle names squad for Unity Cup

Super Eagles coach Eric Chelle names squad for Unity Cup

Sierra Leone receives Nigerian, Ghanaian, Senegalese migrants deported from US

Sierra Leone receives Nigerian, Ghanaian, Senegalese migrants deported from US

President Tinubu appoints 39-year-old Professor of Computer Engineering as new JAMB registrar

President Tinubu appoints 39-year-old Professor of Computer Engineering as new JAMB registrar

Meta lays off 8,000 employees as A.I. restructuring accelerates

Meta lays off 8,000 employees as A.I. restructuring accelerates