‘Right-hand blow, uppercut’, Anthony Joshua describes how Usyk will be defeated

Anthony Joshua has described how he is that he has primed multiple hurtful punches for Oleksandr Usyk “whether it’s the right hand, the uppercut or the jab”.

Joshua and Usyk briefly stepped into the ring on Tuesday night at the public work-outs without giving away too many secrets ahead of Saturday night’s world heavyweight championship fight

Joshua first said about whether he has honed a new slimline physique to match Usyk’s speed, “Why do people think that?”

He then told Sky Sports about a game-plan: “I’m in there with the ultimate aim of winning. My goal is to either hurt you or beat you until I get the win.

“Whether it’s the right hand, the uppercut or the jab? As long as it leads to a win. I could box on the front foot or the back foot. There is no real strategy except for winning.”

Joshua shadow-boxed for a couple of minutes inside the ring, after a smiling Usyk had juggled to entertain the fans.

Previously before he beat Kubrat Pulev, Joshua’s public work-out had consisted of only wrapping his hands for a full 20 minutes before asking cameras and onlookers to depart while he trained.

“I’ve worked out today already so I didn’t want to over-work myself,” he said.

Joshua explained about his training to face Usyk, “No pads. Heavy bag work and a lot of sparring. But not really the mitts.

“Old school Rocky Marciano style.”

Undefeated Usyk, formerly the undisputed cruiserweight champion, is aiming to become just the third boxer to ever add a heavyweight belt to the world titles he won in the division below.

He has already knocked out Tony Bellew and outpointed Derek Chisora.

Joshua said, “I’m physically conditioned and mentally conditioned. I should be fine.

“It’s a big occasion, big pressure.

“Bellew was at a different stage of his career when he took the fight. I’m at a different stage. So what it means to me is different to what it meant to Bellew.

“Bellew put up a really good fight and he came up short which can happen in boxing.

“I will do everything to reverse what happened to Bellew and make it into my favour.

“I feel like I’ve got nothing else if I don’t get this win.

“It’s not the end of the road but it’s the start of a new chapter.”

IBF, WBA and WBO champion Joshua was deep in talks to face WBC titleholder Tyson Fury until negotiations dramatically broke down.

If Joshua beats Usyk and Fury again defeats Deontay Wilder on October 9, an undisputed heavyweight title fight could be revived.

Joshua’s trainer Rob McCracken said, “Everybody is talking about the fight with Big Josh and Tyson Fury but, in the meantime, he is the heavyweight champ and he’s got to take on all comers. That’s his mindset.”

Usyk said about the size difference with Joshua: “Everybody talks about who is bigger and who is smaller, but nothing bothers me

  • Related Posts

    ‘This isn’t the news anyone expects’ Vanessa Trump, 48, reveals breast cancer diagnosis

    Vanessa Trump, the ex-wife of the U.S. president’s eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., revealed Wednesday, May 20, that she has been diagnosed with breast cancer.   The 48-year-old shared the…

    Gunmen abduct LG vice chairman in Ekiti

    Gunmen have abducted the Vice Chairman of Ilejemeje Local Government Area of Ekiti State, Grace Ogunleye.   According to reports, Ogunleye was kidnapped along the Ipere–Iludun Ekiti road while returning…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    ‘This isn’t the news anyone expects’ Vanessa Trump, 48, reveals breast cancer diagnosis

    ‘This isn’t the news anyone expects’ Vanessa Trump, 48, reveals breast cancer diagnosis

    Gunmen abduct LG vice chairman in Ekiti

    Gunmen abduct LG vice chairman in Ekiti

    Super Eagles coach Eric Chelle names squad for Unity Cup

    Super Eagles coach Eric Chelle names squad for Unity Cup

    Sierra Leone receives Nigerian, Ghanaian, Senegalese migrants deported from US

    Sierra Leone receives Nigerian, Ghanaian, Senegalese migrants deported from US

    President Tinubu appoints 39-year-old Professor of Computer Engineering as new JAMB registrar

    President Tinubu appoints 39-year-old Professor of Computer Engineering as new JAMB registrar

    Meta lays off 8,000 employees as A.I. restructuring accelerates

    Meta lays off 8,000 employees as A.I. restructuring accelerates