BALE “CLOSE” TO TOTTENHAM RETURN, SAYS AGENT

Gareth Bale is “close” to a sealing a sensational move back to Tottenham but the deal is “complicated”, Bale’s agent Jonathan Barnett said on Wednesday.

The Wales international has been frozen out by Real manager Zinedine Zidane and he said earlier this month he was open to returning to the Premier League.

Manchester United have also expressed an interest in Bale but they see him as more of a back-up option behind other targets, including Borussia Dortmund’s Jadon Sancho.

That has left Spurs in pole position to sign Bale, who left the club for a then world-record fee of £85 million in 2013.

When asked about Tottenham’s move for Bale, Barnett told AFP: “It’s close but not done.” He added: “It’s a complicated deal.”

Bale has two years left on a contract that pays him around 30 million euros a year at Real Madrid.

Madrid are pushing for a permanent transfer that could see Tottenham pay next to nothing upfront for the 31-year-old, with various performance-related bonuses added on.

Spurs would prefer a loan move that involves Madrid covering a portion of the 31-year-old’s wages.

“No problems, the clubs are negotiating,” added Barnett.

Bale has won the Champions League four times and won two La Liga titles during his time in Spain, but his turbulent relationship with Zidane has seen his role significantly reduced in recent years.

He started just one match when the 2019/20 season resumed after the coronavirus hiatus and caused a stir with his behavior while he watched on in the stands.

Bale almost joined the Chinese Super League club Jiangsu Suning last year before Madrid pulled the plug on the deal and he has accused the club of making it “very difficult” to leave.

The winger still has an emotional attachment to Tottenham after joining the club from Southampton as a teenager, when he developed into one of the world’s most exciting forwards.

Former Spurs boss Harry Redknapp, who managed Bale for four years at Tottenham, said he would bring “that little bit of magic” to Mourinho’s side, who lost their first game of the Premier League season to Everton.

“It would be a fantastic signing for the club,” Redknapp told BBC Radio Wales. “It would be great for Gareth to get back playing again. He’s such a talent, such a great player. It’s a waste to see him not playing.”

Tottenham is also close to completing the signing of Real Madrid left-back Sergio Reguilon for around 30 million euros.

Reguilon enjoyed an excellent season for Madrid in 2018/19 but Zidane sent the 23-year-old on loan last year to Sevilla, where he helped them finish fourth in La Liga and win the Europa League.

Madrid wants a buy-back clause inserted into the deal, which would allow them to re-sign Reguilon from Spurs in the next two years.

  • Related Posts

    Neymar back in Brazil squad for fourth World Cup despite three-year international hiatus

    Brazilian superstar Neymar has been handed a dramatic recall to the country’s World Cup squad, returning to the national team after a near three-year absence.   The 34-year-old, Brazil’s all-time…

    Tanker crashes into house, kills woman and her 10-year-old grandson in Suleja

    A woman and her grandson were k!lled when a truck crashed into their house in Maje, a community on the outskirts of Suleja, Niger State.       The incident…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Neymar back in Brazil squad for fourth World Cup despite three-year international hiatus

    Neymar back in Brazil squad for fourth World Cup despite three-year international hiatus

    Tanker crashes into house, kills woman and her 10-year-old grandson in Suleja

    Tanker crashes into house, kills woman and her 10-year-old grandson in Suleja

    Trump administration proposes admitting more White South African refugees

    Trump administration proposes admitting more White South African refugees

    Twenty-Five Years Of Devotion: Rev. Fr. Edmund Ani Marks Priestly Silver Jubilee Celebration

    Twenty-Five Years Of Devotion: Rev. Fr. Edmund Ani Marks Priestly Silver Jubilee Celebration

    BOSYA President Says Terrorist Rivalry Responsible for Borno Schoolchildren Kidnap

    BOSYA President Says Terrorist Rivalry Responsible for Borno Schoolchildren Kidnap

    Gary Neville Speaks on What Comes Next for Manchester City After Guardiola

    Gary Neville Speaks on What Comes Next for Manchester City After Guardiola