Many killed, houses burnt as soldiers, youths clash in Imo

INDIGENES of Izombe in the Oguta Local Government Area of Imo State said on Tuesday that the properties allegedly destroyed by soldiers in their community on Friday allegedly by soldiers were not less than N1bn.

The distraught indigenes, who spoke to our correspondent during a visit to the community, said the soldiers, who were on a reprisal, burnt no fewer than 80 houses, many cars and economic trees.

The soldiers attached to the 34 Artillery Brigade, Obinze, Owerri, had clashed with the youths of the community.

In the process, a youth was killed, two soldiers murdered, their vehicle burnt and three rifles snatched.

In a revenged mission, the army invaded the community in many vehicles, including Armoured Personnel Carriers and allegedly destroyed many properties.

The development caused the indigenes of the community, especially women and children, to flee the area.

A community leader, Chinedu Nnadi, told our correspondent that the damage the army had done to the community would not be addressed in the next 30 years.

READ ALSO Gunmen engage Obiano’s convoy in shootout, KILL many in Anambra

Nnadi, who is the pastor in charge of He Reigns Chapel, Owerri, told our correspondent that his people had become refugees in neighbouring communities.

A man, Kennedy Ike, whose house and that of his two children were razed during the operation, said his life had been “made miserable”.

The army spokesperson for the 34 artillery brigade, Obinze, Owerri, Joseph Akuga, said the military hierarchy in the state would address the press the issue.

Related Posts

‘This isn’t the news anyone expects’ Vanessa Trump, 48, reveals breast cancer diagnosis

Vanessa Trump, the ex-wife of the U.S. president’s eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., revealed Wednesday, May 20, that she has been diagnosed with breast cancer.   The 48-year-old shared the…

Gunmen abduct LG vice chairman in Ekiti

Gunmen have abducted the Vice Chairman of Ilejemeje Local Government Area of Ekiti State, Grace Ogunleye.   According to reports, Ogunleye was kidnapped along the Ipere–Iludun Ekiti road while returning…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

‘This isn’t the news anyone expects’ Vanessa Trump, 48, reveals breast cancer diagnosis

‘This isn’t the news anyone expects’ Vanessa Trump, 48, reveals breast cancer diagnosis

Gunmen abduct LG vice chairman in Ekiti

Gunmen abduct LG vice chairman in Ekiti

Super Eagles coach Eric Chelle names squad for Unity Cup

Super Eagles coach Eric Chelle names squad for Unity Cup

Sierra Leone receives Nigerian, Ghanaian, Senegalese migrants deported from US

Sierra Leone receives Nigerian, Ghanaian, Senegalese migrants deported from US

President Tinubu appoints 39-year-old Professor of Computer Engineering as new JAMB registrar

President Tinubu appoints 39-year-old Professor of Computer Engineering as new JAMB registrar

Meta lays off 8,000 employees as A.I. restructuring accelerates

Meta lays off 8,000 employees as A.I. restructuring accelerates