Don’t attack oil facilities, Omo-Agege begs Niger Delta youths

The Deputy President of the Senate, Ovie Omo-Agege, has appealed to members of the Reformed Niger Delta Avengers to halt their planned attacks on oil facilities in the region.

He said going ahead with their threat would create economic setback for the country and cause additional environmental degradation in the area.

Omo-Agege’s appeal, according to a statement by his media office on Wednesday, came on the heels of recent threats by a coalition of nine militant groups in the Niger-Delta region.

The coalition had expressed its preparedness to resume hostilities by attacking oil and gas facilities if the Federal Government did not meet the demands of #EndSARS protesters across the country.

The militant groups under the aegis of the RNDA, had after an emergency meeting in Delta State last week, announced their preparedness to dump the ceasefire accord with the Federal Government and engage military forces.

Specifically, they threatened to resume attacks on some identified oil facilities in the region if nothing was done to redress the issues of poor welfare, armed oppression and inequality in the standard of living between the citizens and political elite.

However, Omo-Agege, according to the press statement, appealed to the youths to sheathe their swords when he met a delegation of Oil and Gas Host Communities of Nigeria, in Abuja.

READ ALSO BREAKING: Okonjo-Iweala set to lead WTO — Report

The delegation was led by Chief Wellington Okrika.

He assured them that their demands would be tabled before the Presidency.

He said, “Whatever it is, we must maintain peace in the Niger Delta. I say this in view of the new agitations by the Reformed Niger Delta Avengers.

“We are just coming out of the #EndSARS protest which, of course, we all witnessed how a peaceful protest was hijacked by those with sinister agenda.

“We are all witnesses to what happened afterwards even when we must acknowledge that in a democracy, protest is a right provided those that do it do so peacefully without abridging the rights of others.”

He added, “We are here to champion their request. We don’t want the peace of the Niger Delta to be disturbed or disrupted. We are here to protect the interest of our people.

“I may be the Deputy President of the Senate today but, I am first of all, a Senator representing my people. I am here and I am your own. I am your eye. We shall not disappoint you.

“Take this commendation to our brothers in the creeks that they have done well in keeping the peace and we will table their request before the authorities as they have channelled that request through me. We shall ensure the right things are done.”

Related Posts

“This Is Becoming Childish”: Joe Igbokwe Blasts Atiku Over NYSC Certificate Demand

        A chieftain of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Joe Igbokwe, has condemned the move by the presidential candidate of the 2027 African Democratic Congress, ADC, Atiku…

US-Nigeria Joint Working Group Convenes in Washington to Address Security and Humanitarian Concerns

        The second session of the United States-Nigeria Joint Working Group, JWG on Nigeria’s Particular Concern Designation took place this week in Washington.     Under Secretary…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

“This Is Becoming Childish”: Joe Igbokwe Blasts Atiku Over NYSC Certificate Demand

“This Is Becoming Childish”: Joe Igbokwe Blasts Atiku Over NYSC Certificate Demand

US-Nigeria Joint Working Group Convenes in Washington to Address Security and Humanitarian Concerns

US-Nigeria Joint Working Group Convenes in Washington to Address Security and Humanitarian Concerns

Behind the Beef: Seyi Vibez Claims He Built Dapper Music’s Career from Scratch

Behind the Beef: Seyi Vibez Claims He Built Dapper Music’s Career from Scratch

Shallipopi Accuses Dapper Music of Withholding Royalties from 46 Songs and Selling His Catalogue

Shallipopi Accuses Dapper Music of Withholding Royalties from 46 Songs and Selling His Catalogue

Osun Governorship Poll: Police Restrict All Vehicular and Pedestrian Movement from Friday Midnight

Osun Governorship Poll: Police Restrict All Vehicular and Pedestrian Movement from Friday Midnight

Atiku Seeks Tinubu’s Disqualification from 2027 Election Over Alleged Forged NYSC Certificate

Atiku Seeks Tinubu’s Disqualification from 2027 Election Over Alleged Forged NYSC Certificate